Tuesday, May 04, 2010

La Mer

for years i have asked these questions
of the Universe
quietly 

only half-heartedly
in case i should be taken
too seriously
maybe there was even some dread
 in my voice as i asked

 i have whispered these questions
to my pillow 
at night
by the light of the moon
when my husband is sleeping

i have carried them 
with me,
the burden heavy on my back
i have bowed low
under the weight

i am guilty  
of cradling the thorn
and the sting
using it to keep me aloof

i have both cherished 
the righteous indignation
my questions inspired
and feared it
in case it was not me

there were even times when
receiving only quiet instead of response,
my rage threatened
to sweep me away
lost forever to the tide
no trace remaining
not even my footprints on the sand

but
i never fought to know
i never made myself uncomfortable
to seek out the answers

and so they found me
crept up close to me
where i sat

i was caught unawares
my ears and heart open
so vulnerable

they slammed into me
those answers
an ocean wave
a fist thrown
an ambush

the tears sprang quickly to my eyes
for i knew them
immediately
disguised though they were
i knew them

my own
prodigal daughters
bearing knowledge in their hands

the wave receded

salty water ran down my face
dripped from my hair 
and ran under my chin

i had cried an ocean
for these answers
and they came to me
on the wave of my own despair

sometimes 
when you seek the truth
it finds you



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it...