Thursday, May 06, 2010

Born Among Mirrors

i was born among mirrors,
eyes closed
screaming into the face of the world
screaming at myself, first

and as i grew
i learned 
that to truly see myself,
(not through the dark glass
not in the reverse)
i must keep my eyes closed tightly
feeling my way through the world with fingertips

 everything that i touched was cold
the world was without form, and void
i had no concept of dimension

until one day
the brilliance of the sun
lit up my closed lids
and i turned my face toward the light

the sudden warmth,
the glow
made me grieve for all that i had missed
with my shut eyes

i swung out my fist in anger,
that the light was so long denied me
that i had denied myself

the mirrors around me shattered
into a thousand shrieking shards

but it was finally safe to open my eyes

and i see myself more clearly
these days
in those imperfect, fragments of mirror
than i ever could have
                               in the whole ones                                 










1 comment:

Tell me about it...