Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Funny Freedoms




skin
inspiring confusion
eliciting the need for tidy labeling,
categorization

but what if i told you
that i defy 
your neat and
orderly
filing system

suppose that i 
choose not to choose
and suppose that i find your insistence
upon my own choice
a theft of my freedom to do so


where will this leave us?


awkwardly 
in that vast grey space
between black and white
where only one of us feels uncomfortable

your discomfort
no longer holds power
over me

but it causes me
to hide my smirk
behind my hand

for i am developing 
a fondness, you see
for categories
other than
colour

i am learning
the voyeuristic pleasures
of watching
the fantastic collision
between ideals and realities

the good news is, however
that Reality is merely Perception
and is subject to Choice

vive la liberté de choix!



for Shaina. I do not know the way, but I will hold your hand through the Grey space, darling.

1 comment:

  1. The painting is, "Brown Girl (After The Bath)," by Archibald Motley, Jr.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it...