Monday, May 10, 2010

A Rape Of Gifts


how could you
pluck the poetry 
from my head
like a bit of candy from a bowl?

sing the music
out of my mouth
before my voice
had found the words?

i called you "sister"
and my arms opened to you
you reached out to me,
but only to take.

you are insubstantial
i know you.
the faintest breeze
would scatter 
all of your flash and glamour
to make a shimmering wind.

i know where you come from,
for i passed through that place long ago.

i feel robbed
and wounded anyway - 
bereft, 
at the loss of verse

the visions i shared with you
you took for your own
you desecrated them
limited the potential
stifled the kinetic

i beat out the rhythm
and you stole the rhyme
but got the metering all wrong

your dance is discordant
and false
an ungainly Frankenstein built
of other peoples' poetry


1 comment:

  1. Painting is Max Bohm's "Dance On the Shore (Joy)." Held at the National Arts Club, New York City. Courtesy of http://thebluelantern.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it...