Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Baptême par le feu


the home i was born in
has burned to the ground
a smoldering rubble,
the very foundation
is unfamiliar


the last tendrils of smoke
curl upward even now
past my face
a sweet incense
unto Heaven


years from now
the vines will creep toward
what is left
to cover it over
Nature's burial

to my children
it will look ancient and beautiful
the remains of a chimney
blackened
the battle with twisting ivy
so poignantly lost

no stone
left upon stone

all erased
excepting the memory
which lies in glittering shards
among the rubble
blending with the broken china

and yes, if they ask, then yes.
it was arson
it was either the memory or me
it was them or me
her, or me.
for once,
but maybe never again
i chose Me.

and so i am the daughter
of my own mind
the phoenix
rising

1 comment:

  1. 2nd photograph courtesy of Jolene Monheim.
    Ethereal underwater images: www.jolenemonheim.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it...