Sunday, January 10, 2010

For Rebecca

i will fill my belly
with the fortification
of the women who have gone before me

i will drink deeply the nourishment to sustain
through the travail i am privileged
to partake of

i will feel the warmth
of this strengthening broth
spreading down through the sinews
of my legs
and out to the tips of my toenails

i will feel it spreading upward
a pink and golden light
encircling my ribs
pumping through my heart

i will exhale it on my breath

it will surge upward to my head
roaring through my ears
like the pounding of a heartbeat
or the rush of blood
every hair follicle will be alive
with electrical importance

it will encode itself in my brain
reawakening the memories
of my sisters who have gone before me

bones and marrow and muscle will liquefy
in the intensity of the heat
they will be added to the broth
my sweat and tears will salt it
my voice will join the chorus
of female voices ringing down the mountain
~
a maid will lie down with Death
and rise up with the crown of creation
on her brow
Sorrow will be her companion
for only a short season

God will see her

a woman will give birth to a mother

~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it...