Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Happiness Homework

I am behind. This is me playing catch-up.

Day three was awesome. Giving is generally always better than receiving: Kevin and I set up a deliciously luxurious hammock for our dear friends Jordan and Rebecca, for them to find when they came home from their honeymoon. We were very excited, and very pleased with ourselves when we had it all put up. There was much high-fiving, and shouting of "Go Team Moore!" (yeah. we're kinda nerds like that.)

Day Four was work...not so much joy in that, but I gave my all through a really tough labor, so maybe it wasn't about my happiness? Maybe, day four was about bringing others happiness? It was challenging for me, because they were a life-sapping couple, but it did occur to me that there was a Divine Reason for me caring for them...who knows.

Day Five was work again. So, my happiness was Sleep, after the work. The dreamless sleep of the dead. (Or those who work night shift!) And my two sweet doggies who curled up with me and let me go unconscious for a whole five hours, before they woke me up to go outside. That was nice.

Day Six was Sunday, and my happiness was again, bound up in someone else's. We drove "up the mountain" to see my sister-in-law's new house. It was really lovely, and I was happy for them, and happy for being a part of their wonderful family. It was a beautiful day, and I was happy to hold my husband's hand in the car, and be aware that, in that particular moment, I felt both happiness and satisfaction. "All was for the best in this, the best of all possible worlds." I took a mental picture of it, to add to my "mental picture photo album".
We got home and hubby hit the hammock, and I hit the gardening. (I am seeing a pattern emerge: I am happiest when I'm outside. Preferably getting dirty.)

Day Seven was Monday, and I found my happiness cleaning my little house of cobwebs, clutter, laundry, and stray teacups...I catalogued some books that had been staring at me for weeks, and actually cleared the surface of my desk. It felt really good. I'd been feeling pretty funky, and was amazed to find what an overhaul of your home environment can do for your mood!
I went to Sleep tired, and feeling better - purged of the negativity that a messy house can bring (if you're sensitive to that sort of thing).

And Day Eight. Glorious Day Eight. It brought the resurrection of one pesky pergola from the heap it was in to its full imposing height over the table in our back yard. It was fun! My husband's parents came over and we WORKED! And that thing was tricky!!! We made pizzas, and then got that sucker up! And it looks fantastic. So that was my happiness for yesterday. That, and painting my nails later that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it...