Monday, June 28, 2010

The "Au Revoir Facebook" Experiment

I'm at that place.
The one between too connected and out of touch.

And so, an experiment...life without "social networking."

In one week, I'm heading back to the Dark Ages of stationary and pens, telephone calls, and email.
I've enjoyed how easy FB made it to spy on those people that ordinarily, I would know next to nothing about. It's been neat, meeting new folks, and getting to know acquaintances a little better.

But I've noticed, that no matter how many times we may "comment" on the same thing, or "like" the same thing, when we meet face to face, we're unsure of how to proceed. We don't know where we stand with one another, because online intimacy makes for awkward social situations.
FB and the sites like it, MySpace, Twitter, even blogs - all explore (while some exploit) the innate human need to be known.

I believe that I would rather know a few people intimately, than many people only barely.

So I'm betting that I can fill my life with things more meaningful, when I give up trying to sum up a moment, feeling, or event into a one-line status.
I've come to a place where I see our connections dwindling, as we become increasingly more connected.
Privacy has become passe.

I hypothesize that when I delete my account, the people that want to get to know me better will call, or email.
I further theorize that I too, will seek out those people that resonate with me. I will have to reach out to touch someone, instead of logging on...

Relationships will be more meaningful for the special effort of contact on both parts. Shared photos will be more appreciated, because I will not be inundated with them, nor will I inundate others with them. Pithy comments will be funnier, because when I think of one, I'll pick up the phone to share it with you.
I miss the warmth of human voices, directed to me and not the universe of the people you know.


The sending and receiving letters is a dying art form. There's something about knowing that someone sat down, thought of you, and put pen to paper in honor of a conversation with you.

I happily bet that this experiment is going to be a resounding success.

Feel free to email, spy on my blog (I know, I know...that one's next), call, or better yet,

write me a letter.


Laura K. Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it...