Saturday, May 29, 2010

Happiness Challenge, Days Three and Four

So my happiness for Day Three I cannot discuss yet. There is a Statute of Limitations....

Kidding! But I really can't talk about it yet - it is based on a terribly rad surprise for our newly wed B.F.F.s that have yet to come home from their honeymoon. When they are back (on Sunday) I shall divulge all!!!


My happiness today was the time spent in my favorite bookshop, with my favorite booksellers, Dan and Trudie. I sat on the floor and pored over the Classics. I love being there, with the quiet rustle of pages. It's almost like being in Church, and for me, it is a quiet, sacred experience. I love seeing the "regulars" but we never talk, we just give each other the half smiles you reserve for people that you half-know. Sometimes the shop Kitty will come to say hello, but most of the time she hides in the Childrens' section. I found some really fantastic things, including: an 1828 copy of Little Women (that is appropriately loved and and worn, and bears the preceding owner's signatures in spidery calligraphy), a very neat-o Japanese printing of a book of German Haiku (the book is bound in chartreuse Japanese silk cloth, and made with hand-made paper - it is gorgeous, and "up there" with my favorite finds), an autographed Memoirs of A Geisha, (which had two stubs from the special premier show at the Tivoli!) and a small copy of the essential Rumi.

Then last night, I admitted a really awesome couple for the birth of their first baby. They were fantastic, and chatting with them reminded me why I love what I do.

Those were some of my happinesses over the last 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it...