Friday, March 19, 2010

The Edges of Lonely - Day One

Five days to myself
to think and breathe and stretch and purr

I have glibly encouraged singleton friends and my sister to enjoy being alone. I have been jealous over the luxury of solitude for a little while now. So I am determined to relish this time apart from him. I am determined to take my own glib advice and embrace this time to myself.

Day one was not tough, really. I was at work for 13 hours of the day, so I forgot that I was alone. But the sun was late to bed this evening when I got off work (spring around the corner!), so I had a few minutes of sunshine to revel in.
I rolled my window down and stuck my elbow on the door frame.
I went to the market and bought some seed packets of chard and sweet peas.

Roaming around the store, I was trying to decide between frozen burrito or ice cream for dinner when it hit me... This is wrong. I'm a grown-ass adult woman. I want good food. Food lovingly prepared just for me. Okay, so I'm going to have a date with myself.

I bought things to make a spicy penne pasta with bison (just to try something new!). And I didn't scrimp on the ingredients.

Once home, I put the water on to boil, then walked the dogs around the neighborhood.
When I got back in, my first thought was to put on the television, so I would have some noise/company.
But instead, I put on some jazz music, which is much more date-like.

I sauteed and simmered, and chopped, and crushed, and baked a loaf of garlic bread.
Then I broke out the antique china and opened a bottle of Cab Sauv.
On a whim I lit a candle and stuck that on the table, too.
I turned down most of the lights, and Really enjoyed my food, my wine and my own company.

The pasta was delicious, the wine was perfect and the company...well...it wasn't half bad either.

The worst part of my date...?
Going to bed alone.
(At least there are the doggies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it...